Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Oscar Race: Where Do We Go From Here?


The race to the Oscars is a long winding road, with so many unexpected bumps, and unforeseen turns. Part of why I love doing this, aside from the fact that it is important to me to reward excellence in film making, is because the shocks of nominations and wins is just fun to watch. This past week has been so crazy that some categories are still so up in the air, because every award ceremony, which was suppose to create a consensus, has only provided us with a new bump or turn in the road. Predicting who wins, specifically for the Oscars, is becoming so unpredictable that anyone could win. The unpredictability of this year’s Oscar race is just so much fun, and I feel like I am on the edge of my seat constantly. Maybe its unpredictability is because there were just so many great performances and movies nominated this year that no one can make up their mind? I mean there is no other explanation for it. I have never seen an Oscar year so up in the air! I hope that makes you as excited as I am!

I cannot begin to describe to you how satisfied I was with the Oscar nominations. Everyone I wanted to be nominated was nominated, and that usually does not happen for me. Of course, there were shocks and some sad disappointing snubs, as I warned, but overall I think The Academy nominated things correctly. The sad disappointments were seeing Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks left out of the race. I do not think anyone saw that coming. Both of them were nominated at every big award ceremony, but they both owe their snubs to the two major characters from one of the Best Picture front-runner trio, American Hustle. I am referring to Amy Adams and Christian Bale. They both were nominated sporadically at awards, but their nominations over Emma and Tom proved that The Academy really liked American Hustle. David O. Russell has managed to get actors nominated in every category in back to back years, and that is something that is very rare. I am happy for both Amy and Christian, Christian being the more deserving of the two. Some of the shocking upsets were the Oprah snub and the Jonah Hill inclusion. Oprah was in the most overrated movie I have seen in years, The Butler, and I was happy to see her name left off the list. In fact, The Butler was completely shut of the Oscars. I give The Academy props for seeing right through that movie. Jonah Hill, whom I held on to hope for a nomination for his work in The Wolf of Wall Street, was able to push out some stiff competition, after not a single nomination anywhere, and get a Supporting Actor nomination. The other two shocks worth mentioning were the snubs of Paul Greengrass for Best Director and Saving Mr. Banks for Best Picture. Paul was replaced by Alexander Payne, the director of Nebraska, which I am okay with. Saving Mr. Banks was replaced by Philomena, and I am okay with Saving Mr. Banks being left out; I am more on the fence of its replacement choice. Until I see Philomena, I feel that spot should have gone to Inside Llewyn Davis. Inside Llewyn Davis deserved a Best Picture nomination, and that was kind of a letdown; but like I said, overall, the nominations were great! 

Now that I got that out of the way, we can discuss the state of the Oscar race. With the Oscar nominations out and most of the major awards having been given, there are now front-runners in each category. So let’s do a category by category analysis, just to be aware of where we are and where we are going. 

BEST PICTURE

I have never been witness to a more unpredictable category. 12 Years a Slave has been the one to beat from the beginning, with Gravity its strongest competitor. Then American Hustle came in, legitimately, like a wrecking ball to challenge both films to be top dog. From award ceremony to award ceremony, American Hustle and 12 Years would win their respected Best Picture categories of comedy and drama with Gravity taking home Best Director. From then on, up until last night, everyone started predicting an Oscar split with 12 Years a Slave trumping American Hustle for Best Picture and Gravity winning Best Director. Here is the thing, since the Academy expanded the Best Picture category from 5 to 10, then to a number between 5 and 10, the Best Picture winning film won both the Producer's Guild award and Director's Guild Award, so everyone thought that the PGA and the DGA would clear up who will win Best Picture. Nope. The PGA announced their winner last night, and they had their first ever tie since their creation in 1989. The PGA winners were Gravity and 12 Years a Slave. So if you wish to go by the trend of the Best Picture winning the PGA, then American Hustle would not be winning Best Picture. That would mean that Best Picture is now between 12 Years and Gravity, the original two competitors. Most people are predicting that Gravity will take home the DGA. Again, here is my thing, I feel that Best Picture and Best Director should go hand in hand, and usually they do, it is rare to see a split. I think if Gravity takes home the DGA, then it should win Best Picture and Director at the Oscars. Same goes with the reverse, If 12 Years takes home DGA, then it should win Best Picture and Director at the Oscars. The only way American Hustle will win is if votes split between Gravity and 12 Years a Slave, and at this point that could be a very probable outcome. American Hustle is still in the race. I cannot see The Academy not rewarding American Hustle with at least one Oscar, but in which category will that one be? I am not sure who the DGA will choose; they could bring us to yet another turn in the race. It really is up to them! 

If I had to choose right now who I believe will win Best Picture, I would choose 12 Years a Slave. My heart is behind Gravity, and I hope to see it challenge 12 Years all the way until the announcement of the Best Picture winner. This category is just too close to call!! 

Best Director 

Alfonso Cuaron deserves this award. Gravity would be nothing without his brilliant directing. He will likely win the DGA, but I could be wrong. He has won most of the directing awards up to this point; I do not see it stopping, although if it does, it will be by Steve McQueen or David O. Russell. Like I already said, Director and Picture should go hand in hand. If they love one movie enough for it to win Director, shouldn't it be loved enough to win Best Picture? I am really not so sure anymore. 

The winner should be Alfonso, could be Steve, but I would look out for David O. Russell. 

BEST ACTOR 

I am not so sure anyone fully expected Matthew McConaughey to be the front-runner for Best Actor. His performance was impressive, and deserving for the win, but I do not feel he is a sure thing. At every award ceremony, besides SAG, Leonardo DiCaprio and Matthew would take Best Actor in the comedy and drama categories. Leo was not nominated at the SAG's because The Wolf of Wall Street's screeners were not sent out in time to be seen by all of the nomination body of voters. So it seems Matthew is the front-runner....but Matthew was snubbed at the BAFTAS where Leo was not. There is a back in forth thing happening between the two of them, because they have not been given the chance to go head to head in the same category. The only time they will compete in the same category is at the Oscars. I have a feeling Leo may win, just because he is overdue for a win and everyone wants to see him finally win. Matthew is his biggest challenger of course. I would not be surprised if either of them wins. I loved both performances and I find them to be equally deserving of the win. 

My right now choice would be Matthew. If Leo wins the BAFTA, then I feel he might finally win. It could go either way. 

BEST ACTRESS 

Cate Blanchett has cleaned up this awards season for her fantastic performance in Blue Jasmine. She won every major award starting with the critics all the way till now. People thought Sandra Bullock would be her biggest challenger, and I thought so too until Oscar nominations. Amy Adams has come into the spotlight, winning Best Actress on the comedy side where Blanchett won on the drama side, the same way as Matthew and Leo have done. Amy has not had to face off with Cate, because Amy was snubbed by SAG. Their first chance to face off will be at the BAFTAS, if Amy happens to pull off the upset then she has a shot at beating Cate for the Oscar. Just so we are clear though, taking down Cate will not be easy, and it could be near impossible. The only reason Amy has a slight chance at beating Cate would be because she has never won an Oscar before, and Cate has. That is why I say if Amy happens to win at the BAFTAS, look out Cate. I personally do not think Amy would be deserving over Cate, or really any of the other women in her category. She was great in American Hustle, but I just do not think it would be seen as a good Oscar win if Amy were to win. Next year Amy has another shot at Best Actress, so it’s in her best interest to wait until then, but of course it is not really up to her. 

The Oscar is Cate Blanchett's to lose. My heart wants to see Sandra win, but that is not happening. I only advise you to keep an eye on Amy. 

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR 

NO ONE, and I repeat NO ONE is beating Jared Leto. His performance was fantastic! He met the great supporting actor standard: when his character was not on screen you were left wondering where he was and what he was doing. He will win, and rightfully so. The only thing is, he was snubbed from the BAFTAS, not that it matters a ton because many people have been snubbed by them and still won, but it does open up a chance for someone to challenge him. I predict Michael Fassbender will win the BAFTA, but in the end he does not stand a real chance at the Oscars. 

Jared has this in the bag. Shout out though to Jonah Hill in The Wolf of Wall Street. Jonah had my favorite supporting performance of the year next to Jared. I am happy he was nominated and recognized for his incredible performance. 

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS 

I have been on Lupita Nyong'o's side from the beginning. Out of all of the acting performances this year, her performance in 12 Years a Slave has remained in my head. I think about it often for some reason, and that is a sure sign of her acting abilities. This was her debut film!! She deserves to win, but she has a big and fierce competitor, Jennifer Lawrence. I loved Jennifer in American Hustle. I would be happy seeing her win, again, but it would be sad to see Lupita lose. I have no idea who will the Oscar. Both Lupita and Jennifer have gone back and forth for wins, so I cannot see a definite winner. Both are deserving, actually I think all of the women in the category would be deserving! 

Choosing right now, I would go with Lupita. I would be happy with Jennifer Lawrence. My heart secretly wants Julia Roberts to win, but that is not really an option at this stage of the race. 

SCREENPLAY 

No one should beat Spike Jonze's incredible writing for Her. It will likely win Original Screenplay, although, American Hustle could win. David O. Russell is the writer, and I can't see American Hustle not winning at least one Oscar, so this could be it. The screenplay categories at the Oscars generally have at least one upset. So who knows?

Adapted Screenplay, I really have no idea. It would be between Before Midnight and 12 Years a Slave, although The Wolf of Wall Street winning would not be a surprise. 

Hopefully the WGA, Writers Guild, will clear some things up. Right now: 
Original- Her is my first choice. Look out for American Hustle. 
Adapted- My gut says Before Midnight, but my gut has been wrong before. 

ANIMATED FEATURE 

Frozen. Frozen. Frozen. I was sadly disappointed when Monsters University got left off the list, which would have been my second choice. Frozen was truly great! The past couple Disney animated musicals have really let me down, but this one really impressed me. The music is great and the characters were just lovable. Its biggest competition is The Wind Rises, which cleaned up with the critics. 

Again I say- Frozen. Frozen. Frozen. Although it should watch its back for The Wind Rises. 


With the DGA, WGA, BAFTAS yet to come things are left all over the place, aside from the Supporting Actor category. The races are all close ones, and my heart is so torn in all of them. I guess no matter what, I should just be thankful that the nominees are great, and just be happy with whatever and whomever wins. Like always, expect some shocks and upsets! We are still in the same place as we were from the beginning,  with no consensus, and that only makes doing this more fun! Hold tight everyone, we are still heading down the hill. 


No comments:

Post a Comment